- dash of Angostura bitters
- 1/2 sweet red vermouth
- 1 house rye whisky
- maraschino cherry (garnish)
Mixing Method: Stir
- Scoop a mixing glass 3/4 full with ice.
- Pour the vermouth and rye over the ice.
- Stir well and strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
The basic Manhattan is always made with sweet red vermouth and is garnished with a cherry. Stir the drink for at least 30 seconds to chill and dilute it before serving.
Sweet red vermouth can range widely in flavor from grassy to slightly bitter ruby port. It’s a spirit that’s worth exploring, to see which brand suits your taste.
Dry Manhattan – Use dry white vermouth instead of red vermouth. Garnish with a lemon twist or olive, instead of a cherry.
Perfect Manhattan – Use 1/4 dry white vermouth and 1/4 sweet red vermouth. Garnish with a lemon twist instead of a cherry.