- 1/3 fresh key lime juice
- 1/3 Cointreau (triple sec)
- 1 house tequila
- salt (rim garnish)
- lime cartwheel (garnish)
Mixing Method: Shake
- Rim a chilled coupe, or Margarita glass with salt and set aside.
- Scoop a mixing glass 3/4 full with ice.
- Add all ingredients except the lime garnish.
- Cover with shaker cap and shake well.
- Strain into the salt rimmed serving glass.
- Garnish with lime cartwheel and a little ice.
Deceptively simple, yet hard to perfect, the Margarita is one of the top 10 most popular cocktails in the world.
The better cocktail bars use Key limes and Cointreau, because of their big flavors. Most restaurants and pubs use common Persian limes, and substitute triple sec for Cointreau, due to cost concerns.
Use a mild white tequila for sensitive palates. Make it in the blender if your guests prefer a slushy drink instead.
Blue Margarita – Make the drink with blue Curacao instead of the triple sec.
Strawberry Margarita – Use lemon juice instead of lime. Add all ingredients except the garnish, along with crushed ice and 3-4 ripe strawberries into a blender. Blend to the desired consistency. Serve with a strawberry garnish and straw, but no salt rim.