- 2-3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 1/4 simple syrup
- 1 house whiskey (rye or Bourbon)
- soda water (optional)
- lemon twist (garnish)
- maraschino cherry (optional garnish)
Mixing Method: Build
- Build in a chilled rock glass.
- Scoop the glass 3/4 full with ice.
- Add the bitters, syrup, whiskey and stir well.
- Top with soda water if desired.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
- Serve with a straws or swizzle stick.
Ask your guest if they prefer rye or Bourbon, although any base spirit may be ordered for this drink. Then ask if they want the “original” Old Fashioned with a lemon twist, or have it topped with soda water and a cherry. The authentic version leaves them out, but let your guest make the call.
It’s also interesting to note, that the Old Fashioned is more like a Master Drink Theme, or method, than it is a recipe. If you’re curious about this drink, head over to our Old Fashioned Cocktail Story. It’s a quick and fun read.
Bourbon Old Fashioned – Same recipe made with Bourbon
Gin Old Fashioned – Same recipe made with gin.
Mikey’s Old Fashioned – Use 2 oz premium Canadian rye. Use maple syrup instead of simple syrup. Use 2 dashes of Angostura Orange Bitters and 3 drops of regular Angostura Bitters. Add soda for a long drink, or keep it short and strong, depending on your mood.