- dash of Angostura Bitters
- 1/2 sweet vermouth
- 1 house Scotch whisky
- maraschino cherry (garnish)
Mixing Method: Stir
- Scoop a mixing glass 3/4 full with ice.
- Pour the vermouth and Scotch over the ice.
- Stir well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
The basic Rob Roy is always made with sweet vermouth and garnished with a cherry. Stir the drink for at least 30 seconds to chill and dilute it before serving.
The different brands of red vermouth range from grassy to slightly bitter ruby port. It’s a spirit that’s worth exploring, to see which brand suits your taste. Also try experimenting with different types of bitters, or maybe an Irish whisky instead of the usual scotch.
Dry Rob Roy – Use dry white vermouth instead of red vermouth. Garnish with a lemon twist or olive, instead of a cherry.
Perfect Rob Roy – Use 1/4 dry white vermouth and 1/4 sweet red vermouth. Garnish with a lemon twist instead of a cherry.