- 1/2 simple syrup
- 1 fresh lemon juice
- 1 house gin
- soda water
- fruit stick (garnish)
Mixing Method: Build
- Build in a chilled Collins glass.
- Scoop the glass 3/4 full with ice.
- Add the first three ingredients.
- Top the glass with soda water.
- Stir slightly with up and down motion of bar spoon.
- Garnish with a fruit stick and straw.
The Collins is one of the Master Drink Themes. It can be made with any base spirit. It is a very old drink, going back to at least the 1860s. There are dozens of variations and names. Some bartenders claim that a John Collins and Tom Collins are identical. Others claim John is made with rye or Bourbon whiskey.
The best way to avoid confusion is to avoid the names completely (other than Tom being synonymous with gin) and verify the base spirit that your guest wants, as in vodka collins, rye collins, Bourbon collins, etc.
QR Code for CocktailBuff.com