- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1/2 grenadine
- 1 fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh orange juice
- 1 house white rum
- 1 Jamaican rum (or house dark rum)
- 1 Curacao (or triple sec)
- 1/4 overproof rum
- fruit stick (garnish)
Mixing Method: Shake
- Scoop a mixing glass 3/4 full with ice.
- Add all ingredients except the overproof rum and garnish.
- Cover with shaker cap and shake well.
- Pour into a chilled Poco Grande, Collins or chimney glass.
- Float (pour gently) the overproof rum on top.
- Garnish with a fruit stick and straw.
Although the Zombie recipe was created by Don the Beachcomber, this is one of those drinks where each bartender makes it their own way. This is the simple version with easy to find ingredients. Many bartenders use pineapple, passionfruit, or papaya juices, to create a more exotic Zombie. Others use simple syrup, or brown sugar in place of grenadine.
It’s a good idea to remind the guest that there’s 3.5 ounces of hard liquor in this drink. If they are ok with that, go ahead and mix it for them.